The Son | review


About: Peter has his busy life with new partner Beth and their baby thrown into disarray when his ex-wife Kate turns up with their teenage son, Nicholas.
Review: It's a pretty conflicting movie for many noticeable reasons, but overall 'The Son' feels genuine enough to make you feel for the absolute melodrama you're about to endure. Hugh Jackman gives it his all with a strong performance. Laura Dern is a sturdy co-pilot. The rest of the cast are capable enough, though the characters felt very unearthed to me. I had a very hard time connecting with the Nicholas character. There was really no reason for me to feel for him. He never gave me a strong reason to care for how he's feeling throughout, it's really irritating. Why was he so hurt? Why did he feel the need to act out in such conflicting ways? He made zero sense to me. I don't get it.

I don't even think Nicholas was really as depressed as he let on the whole time. It feels more like he's having a glorified 'mid life crisis' while he's a teenager. It didn't connect to me very well, I just don't understand it at all. He let on that his father was the reason he felt the way he was trying to convey out to his family, but he gave no real legitimate reason. He just cried a lot and made no effort to reveal his true feelings to anyone. It was confusing and very irritating. To be honest, I just didn't feel he was genuine in his own attempts at being 'sad' about anything. The movie showed us that his dad came off like a normal father, teaching his son to swim and trying hard to be by his side... I don't know, it was confusing most of the time.

In the end, it is what it is. It's a very melodramatic mess and I've seen much better on the Lifetime network. As for Hugh Jackman though, he was great. What a performance once again from him.

Score: D

(Credit: Sony Pictures Classics)

Wikipedia

Search results

All Time Most Popular