The Super Mario Bros. Movie | review


About: The story of The Super Mario Bros. on their journey through the Mushroom Kingdom. Based on the best selling video game.
Review: Definitely one of the best animated films I've seen in a while now. That last truly great animated film I saw was Moana, only because I love that culture. I don't get into animated movies much in this day and age, because a lot of times the stories are too 'politically correct' for my taste.

Growing up, I enjoyed the Super Mario Bros. games, so naturally this movie would appeal to me. I will tell you straight up that this movie is not politically correct in any way, shape or form. It's directly like the video game franchise and characters. Great voice acting and story here as well. I liked how they threw everything together.

Chris Pratt, I was a bit skeptical about him voicing Mario, but he did an awesome job. He gave him a bit of a New Yorker accent. I even liked his Italian accent for that Mario commercial in the film he did (SLIGHT SPOILER, NOT A MAJOR ONE THOUGH). I really liked the choice of Jack Black doing the voice for Bowser. He put so much energy into the role, shocking right?, and he played it off so smoothly.

Anya Taylor-Joy was great as Princess Peach. She has the perfect voice to portray her. What a talent. Everyone else on the cast did their roles well and I dug 'em. Overall, The Super Mario Bros. Movie is a joy for all ages and was made with absolute care. Writer Matthew Fogel did a great job with the story, the film wasn't too long with the run time, it was short and sweet and gave the characters a lot of justice.

Bravo to the entire team at Illumination for handling this legendary material with such grace and care.

If you're a fan of the Mario games, you should enjoy this movie adaptation. Hearing those game-like sound effects and musical score was a trip down memory lane for me. Loved every bit of it! We need more animated movies like this in the future! Or maybe just let Illumination handle it all from here.

Score: A

Wikipedia

Search results

All Time Most Popular